Table of Contents
When it comes to outdoor activity, protecting your skin is of utmost importance. Without the right protection, harmful UV rays can cause unpleasant damage to your skin. This is where waterproof sunscreens come in. They are a game changer in sun protection, and we’ve rounded up the best in the market for you.
After measuring multiple criteria, we came up with the perfect roundup. Doesn’t matter whether you have knowledge about waterproof sunscreens or not, we’ll make you underwater expeditions safe with the best of the best.
Detailed Review of the Top Sunscreen Brands and Products
If you’re searching for a sunscreen that’s light, oil-free, and quick to absorb, we’ve got something in mind. Try the La Roche-Posay Anthelios Ultra-Light Fluid Facial Sunscreen SPF 60. This does a spectacular job for all skin types, especially those who have acne-prone skin. And if you worry about those pesky pores getting clogged, with this, you can rest easy.
And speaking of rest, this sunscreen also contains hyaluronic acid that nourishes your skin while you bask in the sun. Don’t worry about investing those extra bucks. Trust us, your skin will thank you for the 25 times it’s saved from the harmful UV rays.
What stands out about the La Roche-Posay Anthelios is that it’s hyaluronic acid-infused, giving your skin not just protection from the sun, but some extra love. Plus, it promises to be water-resistant for up to 80 minutes.
It’s sensitive to the needs of acne-prone skin and takes care to avoid clogging pores. And for those who appreciate a matte finish, it delivers just that. In a nutshell, it’s loaded with features that cater to a variety of skin concerns.
- Suitable for acne-prone and oily skin
- Contains hyaluronic acid for extra skin nourishment
- Offers SPF 60 protection
- Provides a long-lasting, water-resistant, 80 minutes of protection
- The thicker consistency can be a bit messier when applying
- Might be an irritation for those accustomed to sheer mineral sunscreens.
- Those with extremely sensitive skin might still experience a reaction to Vitamin E
The name itself, Blue Lizard Sensitive Mineral Sunscreen, gives away the key feature – it’s specially formulated for sensitive skin. This Australian sunscreen combines natural ingredients, such as Vitamin E, to nourish your skin and keep it healthy under the relentless sun. It offers an SPF 50+ protection to keep those dangerous UV rays at bay.
This product prides itself on its eco-friendliness, being made without harmful substances like oxybenzone, and offers broad-spectrum coverage. The 80-minute water resistance makes it perfect for outdoor activities. It’s like a coat of armor designed for those who want to enjoy the great outdoors without the worry of getting fried to a crisp. Plus, the 7oz bottle is generous enough to last a while.
The Blue Lizard Sensitive Mineral Sunscreen comes packed with standout features that we think make it a top contender. The star of the show here is the high SPF 50+ rating that offers broad-spectrum protection against both UVA and UVB rays. This lotion is waterproof for up to 80 minutes, making it an excellent choice for anyone planning to hit the beach or pool, or even just sweat it out in the sun.
The sunscreen is formulated with a blend of natural ingredients, including Vitamin E, known for its nourishing properties and benefits to the skin. The formula is free from oxybenzone and octinoxate, which are known to damage coral reefs. So, not only are you protecting your skin, but you’re also being mindful of the environment.
- Offers broad-spectrum, high SPF 50+ protection.
- Contains Vitamin E and other natural ingredients that nourish the skin.
- It is water-resistant for up to 80 minutes.
- Free from harmful chemicals like oxybenzone and octinoxate, making it reef-safe.
- Generous 7oz bottle offers good value for money
- The thicker texture can leave a white residue on the skin if not properly rubbed in.
- Individuals with extremely sensitive skin might have a reaction to Vitamin E.
- Price point may be high for some budget-conscious consumers
When it comes to waterproof sunscreen, we can not skip over the CeraVe Hydrating Sheer Sunscreen SPF 30. This treasure sure does pack a punch when we’re talking about reliable sun protection.
It’s like the Swiss Army knife of sunscreens, finely crafted for those of us who can’t afford to skimp out on skincare, especially when outdoor fun is a major part of our summertime routine.
Let’s run down the list of the key features of this gem. First off, it’s got an SPF of 30 which is pretty decent when you’re going under the relentless midday sun. It’s not the highest SPF out there, but still deserves a shot given its other attractive qualities.
Aside from that, it’s been crafted like a girl sunscreen, addressing all the tailored needs serving every skin tone. What’s even better is that it’s also ultra-light and resistant to water for up to 80 minutes, making it perfect for a quick dip in the pool or a sweaty workout session. And it’s suitable for all skin types, which is like hitting a homerun in the ninth inning!
- Serves every skin type and tone
- Highly resistant to water
- Delivers no white cast
- Fragrance-free, keeping your skin out of unnecessary irritation
- Not the highest SPF
- May require reapplication more often than higher SPF sunscreens
Our next contender is the Ethical Zinc Natural Clear Zinc Sunscreen. Tons of sunscreens out there claim to provide effective protection, but this one sheds a whole new light on “highly effective”.
It’s like that reliable old car your grandpa used to take on long Saturday drives; may not be all shiny and flashy, but gets the work done like none other. Let’s take a deep dive into what makes it as good as it claims to be.
The Ethical Zinc Sunscreen is all about keeping things natural. It’s chock-full of robust elements like aloe vera, coconut oil, and sunflower seed oil, which also makes it a moisturising powerhouse. It’s a bit like a buffet plate full of wholesome goodness that keeps your skin hydrated and protected, all while keeping those pesky UV rays at bay.
Then there’s the zinc oxide component which takes center stage in the sunscreen game. And did we mention the shea butter in it? Could it get any better? Not to forget, it’s a lightweight formula, which means it won’t leave a heavy feeling on your skin. We’re talking maximum comfort with broad-spectrum protection here!
- Comes with moisturising properties
- Top-notch broad-spectrum protection
- Filled with natural ingredients
- Lightweight and doesn’t leave a greasy residue
- Could cause possible irritation in sensitive skin due to mineral components
- May require frequent application
If you’re keen on outdoor activity, you’re going to need strong protection for your skin. That’s where this Banana Boat sunscreen comes in. It’s got both oomph and finesse baked right into its chemical formula.
Called the “Light As Air” face lotion, it lives up to its name. You might think you’re wearing sheer sunscreen, given its almost invisible look. But don’t be fooled, this lotion packs a punch. It’s got an SPF of 50+, which means it will shield your skin from harmful UVA and UVB rays.
This sunscreen’s main feature is in the name itself – it’s light as air. But that’s not all. It includes an advanced avobenzone UVA/UVB photostable system. Simply put, this means it can keep your skin safe all day long.
It’s also water-resistant. You could take a dip, sweat it out, or get caught in a downpour, and you’d still be covered. The best part is it doesn’t leave any white residue on the skin. So, you won’t look like a clumped-up mess after using it.
- SPF 50+ offering high sun protection.
- Light, non-greasy texture works for all skin types.
- Water and sweat resistant, perfect for outdoor activities
- May not be suitable for extremely sensitive skin types.
- Needs to be reapplied every 2 hours for optimum sun coverage.
- Has a bit of a smell, which some may find off-putting
The Thinkbaby SPF 50+ Mineral Sunscreen might just be the go-to sunscreen for those who prefer a natural approach to skincare. This product is all about safety and effectiveness. It’s designed for babies (hence the name), but works wonders for adults, too.
It offers broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection, and it’s highly water-resistant. Plus, it’s reef-safe, so you can feel good about using it on beach days. It has a high SPF rating, using a mineral-based formula. It’s also the first sunscreen to pass Whole Foods’ stringent Premium Care requirements, which speaks volumes about its quality.
Thinkbaby SPF 50+ Mineral Sunscreen comes packed with some serious features. Its active ingredient is non-nano Zinc Oxide, one of the safest and most effective sunscreen ingredients. It boasts the highest level of water resistance, as approved by the FDA. This ensures the sunscreen stays on even when swimming or sweating.
This sunscreen is free from harmful chemicals, making it safe for sensitive skin and the environment alike. It’s smooth, non-oily, and doesn’t leave a sticky residue. And with its SPF 50+ rating, it offers excellent protection against harmful UVA/UVB rays.
- Water and sweat resistant for up to 80 minutes
- No harmful chemicals or irritants
- Natural and safe for the environment
- Non-greasy and easy to apply
- First sunscreen to pass Whole Foods Premium Care requirements
- The price point may make this sunscreen inaccessible to some.
- Limited water resistance, once you cross the 80-minute mark, you might as well be wearing nothing.
Dive kicks, cartwheels and beach volleyball – yup, we’re peeping at you, those living an active lifestyle. Here’s something up your alley, the Shiseido Clear Sunscreen Stick SPF 50 – your potential armory against the sun’s rays.
Small enough to sit pretty in your pocket, it doesn’t compromise on SPF and knocks it out of the park with an impressive score of 50. It’s water-resistant too, mang!
- High SPF 50: It offers excellent protection from the sun’s UVB and UVA radiation. That means lesser sunburns and slower skin aging.
- Water Resistant: Ideal if you’re into water sports or fancy a swim. It stays put for up to 80 minutes, which is a considerable duration.
- Clear Formula: Unlike some sunscreens, it goes on clear, meaning no ghastly white residue.
- Portable: Sized to fit in your pocket, it’s a great companion for outdoor activities. You can simply whip it out and apply for instant protection.
- High Price Tag: Quality comes at a price, and this one tends to lean towards expensive.
- Short Water Resistance Duration: While 80 minutes of water resistance is good, those who stay in water for longer durations may need to reapply more frequently.
Badger Mineral Sunscreen Cream SPF 30 is a force to be reckoned with. It uses mineral ingredients to work against the sun’s harmful rays with a level of SPF 30 that’s just right for light to moderate sun exposure. This cream is friendly to all skin types and doesn’t leave a white cast that other sunscreens might, which makes it great for diverse skin tones.
With its sleek tube design, it’s easy to slip into your bag for quick touch-ups throughout the day. It’s also water-resistant, lasting a solid 40 minutes while you’re making a splash.
This sunscreen is tough. Its mineral-based formula is naturally resistant to water, providing protection for a good 40 minutes before reapplication is necessary. Also, handy for folks who like their skincare products to do double duty, this sunscreen also works as a makeup primer. Imagine that!
Another standout feature is the organic ingredients used to make this sunscreen. Its main ingredient is non-nano zinc oxide, which is safe for both your skin and the environment.
- Has a SPF 30 for decent sun protection
- Can be used as a makeup primer
- Water-resistant for up to 40 minutes
- Environmentally-friendly with non-nano zinc oxide
- Requires frequent re-application, especially if you’re very active or sweating
- Even though it doesn’t leave a white cast, its texture might feel a bit heavy for some
Up next, we got the Hawaiian Tropic Everyday Active Sunscreen SPF 30. This sunscreen lotion is an all-rounder, designed to keep our skin safe and refreshed at the same time. It’s designed for those of us who love to stay active outdoors, be it running, biking, or doing hardcore yard work. This item can keep up with you.
Created with an SPF 30 level, it provides decent protection from the sun’s harsh ultraviolet rays. Not just that, it’s also water-resistant for up to 80 minutes. And there is no dreaded white cast!
One standout feature of this sunscreen is its lasting water resistance. It’s got you covered for up to 80 minutes, which is perfect for those intense soccer matches or beach volleyball games. Plus, its SPF 30 is just right for those who mostly hang around in the shade but still need sun protection.
What’s even better is that this sunscreen also serves as a hydrating lotion. It’s like having your cake and eating it too.
- Water-resistant for up to 80 minutes
- Doubles as a hydrating lotion
- Decent SPF 30 protection
- No white cast left on skin
- Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide for optimal skin protection
- If you’re prone to heavy sweating, this may not be your best bet
- Can feel a bit greasy to some after outdoor workouts and activities
What to Consider Before Buying a Waterproof Sunscreen
Before you go ahead and splash that cash on a sunscreen, there are a few things we reckon you should consider. First off, the ingredients. You’d want a sunscreen that can protect your skin from both UVA and UVB rays, so a broad-spectrum sunscreen is a must-have. According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, both UVA and UVB rays can contribute to skin damage and cancer.
Also, check out the SPF rating and ensure it’s SPF 30 or higher – anything less than that just won’t cut it. Keep in mind that the higher the SPF, the more it can protect your skin from harmful UV rays. Lastly, consider the duration of water resistance, important if you’re planning to be swimming or sweating. You need a sunscreen that can stay on for a while before needing reapplication.
It’s important to pay attention to what’s actually in your sunscreen. While most typically check for SPF levels, it’s equally important to ensure your sunscreen doesn’t have any harmful chemical ingredients. Some common ones to avoid include oxybenzone, octinoxate, and homosalate. These are known to cause allergic reactions and have been associated with various health concerns. According to Consumer Reports, some of these chemicals may even lead to skin aging.
Instead, go for mineral sunscreens that contain ingredients like zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. These physically block the sun’s rays instead of absorbing them like chemical sunscreens. Plus, they are less likely to cause any skin irritation or allergic reactions, and they are better for the environment and marine life too.
SPF stands for Sun Protection Factor. Essentially, it tells us how well a sunscreen will protect our skin from harmful sun rays. Now, we’ve all heard the advice from the experts — we should be using sunscreen with an SPF 30 or higher. Well, SPF 30 sunscreen blocks nearly 97% of the sun’s harmful UVB rays.
You should also be looking for UVA protection in your sunscreen. UVA rays might not cause sunburn like UVB rays do, but they penetrate deeper into your skin to a whole heap of problems, like premature aging and skin cancer. So remember, when choosing a sunscreen, SPF 30 or higher and UVA protection are the magic words.
Duration of Water-Resistance
Water resistance is another biggie when it comes to choosing the right sunscreen, especially if you’re an outdoor enthusiast. Here’s the deal, waterproof sunscreens are supposed to last up to 80 minutes after water exposure. But before you go thinking you’re invincible to the sun’s rays for over an hour, remember this — sweat and swimming can shorten this time. So, if you’re planning on doing a little doggy paddling or breaking a sweat, you might wanna reapply that sunscreen a little more frequently.
Choosing a sunscreen can seem like being lost in a maze — there’s a whole slew of options out there. But remember, the best sunscreen for you not only has a high SPF level, but it also protects against both UVA and UVB rays. It’s water-resistant, and has the staying power you need for those outdoor activities.
And while it might seem like a chore to keep applying sunscreen throughout the day, remember this — your skin is worth it. Each application is a layer of defense against the sun’s harmful rays. So go on, enjoy your time in the great outdoors. Just remember, when it comes to sunscreen, reapplication is key.
I’m Jason, a 35-year-old marine enthusiast and blogger based in Miami. My heart belongs to the ocean’s depths, where I uncover the beauty of scuba diving, snorkeling, freediving, and encounters with incredible sea creatures. Here, I share my deep-seated love for the aquatic world, along with valuable insights.